Monday, April 23, 2007

Childless by choice

I read an interesting article this morning at: To bear or not to bear? Childless by choice ...And their lives are far from empty.

I have to admit, that's one of those topics that I've never really given much thought to, but when it's presented in a way that captures my attention like this article has, I find myself pondering quite a bit over what life might be like if I were 'one of those' people who chose to be childless.

I can't imagine life without my children and I can't imagine having ever even entertaining the thought of not having them. I'm not saying it's wrong by any means, just that it's one of those things I just can't wrap my mind around. Kind of like being a lesbian - I just don't get it!

I'm sure there are many 'parents' who didn't bear children of their own, but have stepped nicely into the roll of parent by having married a parent.

Know anyone like that?

I would think it's terribly challenging to step into the roll of being parent to a child that belongs to someone else and now that I think about it, my brother is the "father figure" to two children that belong to another man and he handles it nicely.

Are you like me and think it would be difficult to become a parent to children that way after having never been a parent before?

I'd love to hear some tales of Parenting by Choice.

2 comments:

Angela said...

This would definitely be a neat post to have Don read. He stepped into being Lauren's Dad when we were dating and realized things were serious. He tells me all the time that he couldn't imagine his life without her in it. :)

Crystal said...

I have no children of my own although we hope to in a couple of years, but last year i married a man with a then 9 year old daughter. I love being a step-mom, but i don't like dealing with SD's bio-mom. One of her favorite things to say is "you just don't understand because you don't have children". True in some cases, but not nearly as often as she tries to apply it. It almost feels like she just needs to have something to be able to hold over my head & that's all she can come up with. Stepping into parenting this way definitely has it's distinct challenges.